I have been craving fresh lately. I have been so bored with rice, rice and more rice. I have been dreaming of the ready to eat salad aisle at the American produce section. And, all those salad dressings…what will I do?
Since, I am still 3 months away from walking the aisles of Kroger overwhelmed, I thought I would whip up some fresh myself. I channeled my mom and tried my best to duplicate her spaghetti salad with what I had on hand. The results: Delicious!!! I even texted Kimberlynn to brag. I made a 2nd batch 3 days later.
This is simple, healthy and easy to make. Bonus: My kids LOVE it… anything with spaghetti noodles is in their “will eat” category. Getting a couple doses of fresh veggies in ’em is always good, too.
I know the weather is starting to warm up for a few of you. BBQ and picnics are right around the corner. So, give this recipe a try and don’t be afraid to change it up. If I had feta cheese available, I would switch out the parmesan for it. Perfect for your next pot-luck!
- 250 grams cooked spaghetti noodles
- 1.5 cup cucumber, diced
- 1.5 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup green onion, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (can substitute celery leaves but omit celery seed)
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup Italian Dressing
- 1/4 parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- (adapted from BH&G New Cook Book)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 glove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh pepper to taste
- Boil pasta noodles and set aside to cool.
- Mix together Italian Dressing ingredients together and set aside.
- Add cooled spaghetti noodles and all other ingredients.
- Toss with italian dressing and then parmesan cheese.
- Chill until time to serve.